How to do Effective PPC by Marc Macalua of SEO Philippines September 11, 2008Posted by seonotes in marketing, Search Engine Marketing.
Tags: Google Adwords, paid campaign, paid marketing, Pay Per Click, pay per click marketing, PPC, search network, SEM
1 comment so far
I’m saving this last blog post for the best presentation I’ve liked in the SEMCON 2008 – How to do Effective PPC. Marc Macalua’s PPC presentation was a good blend of points for both business owners, and search marketers. I like the way he pointed out that non-traditional marketing continuous to be traditional marketing because of its wide use in the Philippine setting. Over the top display ads, event sponsorships, blogger parties, mobile marketing are the likes.
His SEMCON 2008 presentation challenges businesses to set themselves apart by doing pay-per-click marketing as their advertising game. The pros?
Advantages of PPC Marketing
- Highly measurable
- Cost efficient than offline advertising
- Brings more targeted traffic – since people who search for particular buys have qualified intentions of purchase
- You have near absolute control
Just like me, Marc believes his favorite pay-per-click marketing platform is Google Adwords, with:
- 62% Market share in July 2008
- Best ROI rating of 4.2%
One can be as profitable as you wish with Adwords, as long as you refrain from committing the common deadly mistakes.
Top 4 PPC Mistakes
- size-fits-all ads – very poor customization of ad copies for each ad group
- Bad Landing Page experience – like pointing specific visitor traffic to a very generic page (like your home page), and leading visitors to dead-end pages.
- No negative keywords
- You are not tracking results – you don’t know your maximum Cost per Click or CPC!
Of course, one cannot have a complete report on pay per click without the tricks!
Tips on PPC Marketing
- Build good campaign history – start off with your most important keywords. Check which are giving you profits, then bid for these good keywords at a higher price.
- Target low-hanging keywords – those with significant traffic volume but has less competition
- Increase CTR or click-through-rate via creative ads – also, make creative display URLs
- Segment keywords and Networks – separate keywords in the search and content networks. You can use your Analytics Tool to identify converting keywords
- Learn to throttle your campaign – take note of time zones, holidays, and seasonality
Some SEOnotes on ROI/ROAS for PPC
* If your target is 400% ROAS,
- 100-200% ROI – consider changing match type
- Less than 100% – pause the keyword
- 400% – just okay, work on lowering CPC.
Successful PPC Campaigns have high:
- CTR or Click-through-rates
- ROAS or return on Ad Spend (ROI)
* while keeping CPC low
* ROI is usually higher in PPC than other paid channels
Affiliate Marketing Best Practices by Anders Barris of Asia Century September 10, 2008Posted by seonotes in Search Engine Marketing.
Tags: affiliate marketing, affiliate monetization, earning from affiliates, SEM, SEO
add a comment
Affiliate Marketing can be for generating more sales. It’s great for branding, too. You can also use affiliate marketing to generate leads to sell your product offline.
How do you do Affiliate Marketing?
- The idea is to get blogs and websites to do the online advertising for you – and you only pay them when you earn. You just need a great tracking system!
- These websites can run banners, send email blasts, and do write ups and promote your product, service, or brand to all their users.
- Using affiliate software everything can be tracked.
- You can use an in-house affiliate program, or use an Affiliate Network company.
Why will others promote?
- Bloggers/website owners rely on affiliate networks to provide them with revenue
Campaigns can be run as:
- CPM – cost per thousand impressions
- CPC – with IP blocking and only counting unique clicks
- CPA/CPL – cost per action or lead
On the advertisers and bloggers/ view – it’s best to run on CPC and CPA. You can be more creative and do write ups, email blasts and use other ways to promote products as long as guidelines are observed.
- Sometimes, text content links embedded in articles are more effective than banner ads.
- Offer some good content in a weekly email blas to your subscribers. The larger userbase and more visitors you have, the more you can earn from using affiloiate marketing
* Email blasts for digital cameras have high mail opening rates!
Mr. Anders discusses samples of affiliate programs like account sign-ups for lead generation, sales pitches, and game industry affiliate programs.
* Do you know that most people play/sign up in game websites during office hours using their company email addresses!
SEMCON 2008 in the Philippines – Day 2 September 10, 2008Posted by seonotes in Search Engine Marketing.
Tags: PPC, Search Engine Optimization, SEM, semcon 2008 day 2, SEO
add a comment
This is Day 2 of the Philippine SEMCON 2008. I am pretty much excited just like the first day, as we have more interesting topics to cover for today.
Presentations include the following:
- Search Arbitrage: Monetizing Tier 2 POPC Search Traffic by Hans A. Koch (great talks in the the Philippine Wordcamp, by the way).
- Domaining: Domain Monetization by Emil Avancena
- Affiiliate Marketing Best Practices by Anders Barris
- Internet Connectivity by Jerameel Azurin
- Revenue Models for Social Networks by Mike Palacios
- Social Media Optimization: Maximizing Traffic by Kevin Leversee
- SEO COpywriting by Damien Kelly
- Eyeblaster Rich Media Presentation by Jordan Khoo
- Panel Discussion: Site Clinic